Monday, January 30, 2012

blessed.

I spent my weekend in charleston hanging out with a group of army men about to deploy. I grew up in a military family, and have always had respect for people who choose to serve their country like that; but as I've gotten to know the group of guys better I've gained more respect than I could imagine. These guys are leaving their families (wives, children, parents, girlfriends, fiances, etc) for months and months on end, and all for our freedom. Last June I went to this unit's Yellow Ribbon ceremony, and this weekend I had the privilege of attending their Farewell ceremony. I love going to these, mostly because it makes Charles uncomfortable, but also because it allows me to show my respect for the soldiers. I'm so blessed to know so many really honorable men that have chosen this lifestyle, and will be forever grateful for their service. I'm counting down the days until my best friend is back and I am able to talk to him all the time. Until then, FaceTime will have to do (no matter how much he hates it).

*thats Charles, the furthest to the right.*


 *a picture hanging on the wall at the armory*

 Other charleston happenings: bike rides downtown, walks through the charleston city marina, great food at Taco Boy where I ran in to the lovely Megan at Style Me Swanky (always a pleasure), carafes of mimosas at Triangle for brunch, and hours upon hours of playing fruit ninja with Charles in our hotel. Because we are lame gamers. If you haven't played this game yet, do yourself a favor and don't download it. You will get nothing done if you do.


I've realized another great blessing this weekend. I have a strong, healthy mom. not everyone is that fortunate. One of my oldest/closest friends from Mississippi lost her mom this past Saturday. And while I came very close to losing mine, i never had to actually face that tragedy. My mom conquered cancer, thank God. And while I know my friends mom fought her hardest, she was not as lucky in her battle. I am devastated for B, because at 24 there is still so much you need your mom for. Years ago, I spent a long time cursing God for giving my mom cancer; last night I spent a long time thanking him for allowing her to beat it. I'll never take for granted her life or health again.

God has truly blessed my life with great people. Sometimes I forget to thank him for all that he's given me, not tonight. Tonight I will express an immense amount of gratitude; for a great mom and a hero for a best friend. No matter how many ugly girls I've known him to hookup with.


No comments:

Post a Comment