Thursday, August 16, 2012

quarter of a life

Today is the day. 
I am officially a "mid-twenty".
25 years old. 
A quarter of a century. 
Half way to 50.
Closer to 30 than I am 20.

I imagined waking up this morning feeling every bit of my age.  I thought that I'd wake up a little more tired, a little darker under the eyes, and a little more achey.  Much to my surprise, I woke up feeling great.  In fact, I feel much better than I did yesterday.  There is something about a birthday that gives you that extra jolt to wake you up.  It puts a little pep in your step. Makes your day a whole lot brighter. 
Maybe its the 10pm phone call i got from a friend.  "id wait until midnight, but i have a bedtime" (yes, we're old now.) or the midnight phone call from another.  It can't hurt that at 6 am my mom called singing to me like she has every single year for 25 years. And then, shortly after, my best friend in the entire world (whose 25th birthday was yesterday!!) called to do the same.  It could be the many,many texts i've gotten or the abundance of facebook posts.  I'd imagine that the tweets & instagram comments have something to do with it; or the anticipation of dinner and drinks with girlfriends tonight to celebrate.  But whatever it is, it's fabulous. 
I've been building 25 up to be huge.  Couldn't believe that it was quickly creeping up.  Still can't believe that I've finally reached it. I've been dreading this day for a long time.  Doesn't 25 sound so much older than 24?! But recently, after an extremely unfortunate and untimely passing of a great friend, I've come to realize that the old saying "Do not regret growing older.  It's a privilege denied to many" is oh so true. So this year I promise to love being 25. I am going to do everything that I have dreamt of doing (or at least try to!). I am going to laugh harder, smile more, cry less and enjoy every minute that I get to spend being 25.
Besides-  I have 1825 days until I am officially old. (that's thirty, for those of you not near a calculator).

Thanks to everyone who has already or will wish me Happy Birthday. 
 I appreciate it so much, and it has truly made my day.

Ps- you absolutely need to check out allgroanup.com. it is my newest obsession.  And I don't think that it was coincidence that I found it 2 hours before midnight last night.  Its already helping me with my quarter-life-crisis.

1 comment:

  1. Love it. Hope you had the best day old lady!!!! Bahaha - just kidding :) and 30 is the new 20 ;) Miss you like crazy and wish I could be there this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete